Re: GT6 transmissions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GT6 transmissions
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 12:29:11 -0800
>John Thomasen*s book on the Spitfire and GT6 indicates some change(s) >were
>made
>to later GT6 gearboxes to enhance the durability.  What were those >changes,
>and
>do they matter much?

>The PO of my GT6, bless his heart, installed an NOS tranny in my car, >so it
>ought to
>last a while.  Where he got the unit, I have no idea ...
*******************************
The changes made at that time ('71 and later) were, I believe, confined
to the synchros (larger than previous, included in the Spitfire boxes)
and the reverse gear, but mostly the changes involved stronger materials
in the gears themselves.  Unfortunately, nothing was done to the first
motion mainshaft needle bearings, probably the weakest area of this
tranny (which was addressed on the single rail Spitfire/Marina box) and
the second weakest spot, the countershaft needle bearings, which soon
follow the first motion/mainshaft bearing failure. The later box will
fit any year GT6 (but not the Spitfire, that goes for all GT6 boxes) but
the internal parts of the two boxes, for the most part are NOT
interchangeable-