Triumph Specials

To: triumph owners digest <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Triumph Specials
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 16:06:33 +0000
Cc: Chris Green <the_one_with_the_metro@cjgreen.force9.co.uk>
All this talk about V8, V6, V12(hmm) etc inserts has made me think
about a special, only the deisgn stage though, don't have enough
room as yet.

Anyone on the list attempted to make a special?

I have a book, build your one spots car for as littel as 250 pounds.
It is baised on a Mk1 or Mk2 for courtiena.  But I think one baised
on anold triumph would be far superior, being a snob and all.  It
discribes a basic design for a lotus 6-7 shaped car.  Independent
wishbone front suspension, and I think non-semi independednt rear,
double trailing arms.  Full space frame, steel tube construction.
Apparently the space frame chassy weighs in at 20lb's.

Number of questions.

This car had a solid rear axil, presumably this meens the rear
suspension is not independent.  It has two double trailing arms,
(two a wheel) and a panhard rod.
What is a panhard rod, an what purpose does it serve?

Is is posible to make it independent suspension, by haveing CV's
or UJ's on the diff, and wheels?

What type of triumph is best suted to this? If I do descide to
deisign one, I will make a chassy(it will be fun).

Anyone ever built one using a front wheel drive engin, in the back
making it rear wheel drive, rear engin?

One could imagin the front wheels leaving the ground under heavy
accelleration:->

I thaught about an Triumph Aclaim (Honda civic 1.3 early) engin, nice
light alloy,
whist quite nippy.  Five speed box, 71bhp 68'/lb, is fine for a car
which will weigh 500kg(@half a Ton).  If rear engin is not feasable,
could this be adapted to be
a front engin?

If I do a design would anyone be interested in it.  I probebly cant
build it:-(
because of lack of space etc.  And I have never touched a MIG in my
life.

--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot