re painting aluminium and galvanised

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re painting aluminium and galvanised
From: Dudley Simons <drs1005@esc.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 11:51:51 +0000
If you want to paint galvanised or aluminium components without the paint
flaking off after a few months you need to use an 'etching primer'.  Then
put your normal primer and undercoat over that.  I have never tried spaying
it, only brushing, and on hidden components so have never had to get a top
class finish.  It is quite easy to handle so a good finish shouldnt be
difficult to obtain.  The etch primers I have used have all been
proprietary brands bought from painters and builders merchants or even diy
stores and are often sold as a primer for painting galvanised up and over
garage doors.

Hope this is of help.

Dudley