Tonneau Covers

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tonneau Covers
From: John Tabor <jtabor1@Bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 19:05:54 -0500
Hello all:  Guess this is the official de-lurk.  Have been on the digest
since last spring and have found this group to be a great source of
information, inspiration, etertainment, ... you get the picture.  Anyway
as a result of hanging around the list I finally purchased my first TR
last November.  '74, 48K miles, no rust, 3 owners, my friend and PO keep
it in his garage outside of Philly, took it out for a spin once a year,
kept it maintained, and had accumulated less than 2K miles in the last
10 yrs.

Having moved to sunny Fla and desiring a TR6 since I was a teenager, I
managed to liberate this fine vehicle from the frozen north.  Drove it
to Orlando in three days.  No problems, got 25mpg, ride and noise got to
me after a while, but a great trip.  Now I drive it at least once a week
and am having a wonderful time.

Again this list has been invaluable in getting to know and understand my
new friend.  Enough of that.

The question:  The tonneau cover thread got me thinking about mine.  I
believe it is original equipment.  It works as advertised, strap
attaches to passenger seat, etc. The eyelets have mostly all fallen out
of the front, due to stretching, leaving holes in the fabric.  It seems
that simply replacing the eyelets would either be impossible because of
the stretched fabric or, just repeats the problem.  I don't think
cutting new holes would work because of the already tight fit.  I love
using the cover but hesitate to now because without reinforcement the
holes will surely turn into tears.

Has anyone got a solution, ideas, would Lift-the-dots work here, if so
where do you find them and any trick to installation? TIA
--
John Tabor
74 TR6 CF28460U