Spitfire speaker enclosure

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire speaker enclosure
From: Barry <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:45:40 -0800
Srry in advance if this has appeared several times - major server
problems!!

As Chris mentioned, I do have a "system" in both the GT6 and the
Spitfire.  I designed a system so that it would fit in both cars, was
not easily detected (doesn't appear to have speakers), even if detected
would be almost useless if stolen (except for the individual speakers),
sounds fantastic (I can boom box with the best of 'em), and could be
removed easily if desired.  What I ended up with was a 'ported' type
enclosure using a centrally mounted (right over the hump) 8 inch, 4 ohm,
woofer.  An acquaintance at work has a program, that when given all the
specifics, box volume, speaker specs, etc. will give you port lengths
for a given low frequency, optimized for that enclosure (I used two that
'straddle' the hump and face forward, directly at the back of the
seats).  The rest of the system uses two small, and back sealed, 4 inch,
4 ohm (infinity) high power 2 way drivers located as far to the sides of
the woofer as practicable.  These have  electronic "cutouts" for the
really low frequencies that the sub-woofer handles, so your not driving
them as hard.  The crossovers, and the subwoofer coils are mounted
inside the enclosure.  This enclosure 'sits' right where the parcel
shelf would be.  It is approx. 5 inches high along the front, where the
ports are, spans the entire width of the car, follows the contour of
both wheel wells, and is wedge shaped approx. 12 inches high at the
back, where it meets the  rear trim board (or in the case of the GT6
it's even with the rear shelf).  I don't have exact measurements right
at the moment.  The entire speaker area is covered in black acoustic
cloth, and the front ported area is covered in the same carpet as the
floor (except for the ports).  If you were to look inside you would see
what appears to be an angled shelf, and nothing more.  There is still
room to store the soft top, and it is just pushed tightly into place (it
fits that snugly). It also has a hump notched in it for clearing the
tunnel.  It's powered by a 100 watt (rms) per channel "tri power" amp
that drives both the center woofer (bridged) and both the other speakers
as a normal two channel amp, mounted inside the trunk.  If you want (I
don't really care to ) you can feel the music (shaks the review mirror)
and cruising down the freeway, you can actually here the bass!!  I love
it, and as always, if you just want to hear the engine, turn it off!!
The only real disadvantage is that you loose the parcel shelf - but,
like every thing else, there is a trade off!  By the way, the amp on the
GT6 is mounted in the right rear fender (wing) -

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Coruier (parts hauler)