o/d pressure test gauge

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: o/d pressure test gauge
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 16:32:48 -0700
Listers,

Some of you might recall that I was battling J-type O/D demons for a
while. It turned out my problems were related to a faulty pump which did
not produce the required 450psi pressure.

Then Bentley manual makes reference to a pressure test which can be
performed on the O/D unit using yet another special tool (the pressure
test gauge). Of course good luck finding this gauge (although I think
Volvo dealers may have it for testing their cars).

Well since I have had my O/D repaired after a long delay, I decided I
would try to keep track of my pressure a few times a year to see if it
was starting to drop or whatever. To this end I have constructed a
pressure test gauge which works like the one in the manual. (I did not
install a permanent gauge on the car because the mount point would be in
a potentially dangerous place - underneath the car).

I have detailed the pieces required at
http://www.cyberbia.com/peterz/tr6/o-d/o-d_gauge.html for your perusal.
I have not yet tested my O/D as it is winter here now but come spring I
will be checking out how my pressure behaves. I thought this might be of
use to some other listers who have the O/D on their cars. I think the
gauge could be easily adapted to an A-type O/D if the correct plug were
substituted in place of the J-type plug I used. If one had both plugs
rigged up like mine, then the gauge could test both types by simply
switching to the correct plug.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada