Flat Spot ??

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Flat Spot ??
From: John Gillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:12:36 +0000
A few days ago the brother had a question up about a flat spot when
driving. There was no response to this, so I am trying again. It would be
really useful if anybody had come across the symptoms below as we all know
how difficult it is to trace a problem you can't see.
Here it is then:        The car, a Mk1 2000 (sedan for those Stateside) had
a problem with the rear carb leaking petrol out the air intake. I removed
the carb and found a little dirt on the top of the float needle valve.
Cleaned up the carb, re-fitted, fine, no more leaks. Pete now tells me
however that when cold and on choke there is a "flat spot" where the car
will not rev out and will not go over 20 m.p.h. Once the car nears normal
teperature all is well again. I checked the mixture and it seemed a little
lean this was ajusted, we also balanced the carbs and re-set the timing,
but the problem remains. It is very likely that it has something to do with
my removal of the carb in the first instance. Pete tells me that it also
spits back through the carbs from time to time. To me it all sounds like a
weak mixture, but after ajustment using colourtune, no change. I am sure I
read about a typical reason for these symptoms somewhere but cannot
remember. Please help,or we could be adjusting from now till God knows when.

John Gillis
1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)
1964 Triumph 3TA 350cc (a little gem)
Trinity College
Dublin,
IRELAND.