Re: Welders - TIG <-> MIG?

To: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Welders - TIG <-> MIG?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 17:47:41 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 21 Jan 1998 JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com wrote:

>      I have a neighbour who's upgrading his shop and has offered to sell me
>      his TIG welder. I don't know the price yet. It's a 120 volt light duty
>      model which appeals to me for now. I asked what the difference was
>      between MIG and TIG, and he told me that MIG is for aluminum and TIG
>      is for steel. May he have said that backwards?

TIG welders use a 'torch' and a 'flame'- actually an electrode and an arc
to heat the metal and to weld with it.  Inert gas is liberally applied to
stop the whole works from corroding before your eyes.  You use a welding
rod, and it's a bit like fire-welding (acetylene)

MIG welding uses the welding rod as the electrode, and the cheaper stuff
uses a flux core / surround instead of injecting inert gas (the IG) at the
weld.  Better MIG welders use a wire-feed mechanism and bottled gas.
(argon?  xenon?  I'm not sure)

I think you can use either one for both aluminum and steel.  I guess it
depends on the welder (and weldor)

>      If it turns out that what he's got for sale is really for aluminum I
>      don't want it, so could someone let me know the real scoop?

Gallop out to your library and find you a book on welding.  It can explain
it better that I can.  Petersen puts out some good literature, as does
Haynes.

-Malcolm
armchair weldor