Welders - TIG <-> MIG?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Welders - TIG <-> MIG?
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 14:40:23 -0500
     I have a neighbour who's upgrading his shop and has offered to sell me
     his TIG welder. I don't know the price yet. It's a 120 volt light duty
     model which appeals to me for now. I asked what the difference was
     between MIG and TIG, and he told me that MIG is for aluminum and TIG
     is for steel. May he have said that backwards?
     If it turns out that what he's got for sale is really for aluminum I
     don't want it, so could someone let me know the real scoop?

     Thanks,
     Jim Wallace