Re: Welders - TIG <-> MIG?

To: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Welders - TIG <-> MIG?
From: "Andy" <amdixon@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 15:13:29 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jim,
TIG (also known as Heli-Arc) is most often used for aluminum and other non-
ferrous metals such as magnesium and chrome alloys.  They are
expensive and use helium as the shielding gas. I don't think he has a TIG
though I guess anything's possible. The TIG can also be used on other
metals, there's no splatter and little smoke.  A MIG (Metal Inert Gas) has
wire feed, can be used with or without gas (Argon, Argon/CO2 mixture) is
about the easiest welding you'll ever learn (if you can use a caulking gun
chances are you can MIG weld). If it uses wire on a reel, it's a MIG. As
points of reference, Sears has MIG welders with everything except the
bottle for around $350, Home Depot type stores have the wire feed welder
for about $250 and the gas shielding (MIG) add on kit  for about $100.
Andy

On 01/21/98 02:40 PM JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
said...