TR6 Restoration

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Restoration
From: Randy Miller <rfmille@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 18:54:07 -0800
Hello to All,

        It has been a while since I posted anything, although I have been
following the list.

        I have finally got around to starting the restoration of my 72 TR6. I
was able to locate a replacement frame (from a 73) and will be starting
to refurbish it shortly.

        I presently have the engine out and stripped and am assessing its
condition.  While cleaning and inspecting the pistons I noticed that the
surface of one of them was quite badly pock marked (most likely from
some pre ignition). I would like to replace this piston but the rest
appear to be in pretty good condition. When I took the block in to have
it degreased I lucked out as the machine shop had a box full of old TR6
engine parts which he gave me. Which brings me to my question. Does
anyone know what the difference is between Pistons
stamped W13 (out of my 72 TR6, Engine no CC84268UE), and pistons stamped
L72 (those given to me). The piston stamped W13 appear to have a
slightly larger chamfer at the top of the piston, but other than that
there doesn't appear to be any difference.

        Any information is greatly appreciated.

        Thanks,

Randy Miller
Schomberg, Ontario