Re: Distributor weights

To: bschwart@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: Distributor weights
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 07:07:40 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
John writes:
   <  snip  >
>2. Now the tech. Q's The area that seems to have suffered most wear is the
>action plate which sits under the centrifugal weights and the weights
>themselves. I have not seen either item offered for sale by suppliers.
>Anybody know if these bits are obtainable. Also the springs on the weights
>seem to be of a different guage to eachother, normal or what??
******************************
John,
the springs being different is the norm, it allows a progressive advance in
that the weaker spring allows a quicker, partial advance at a lower RPM.
Then as the RPM's increase it overcomes the stronger spring for more
advance.  The shaft/weight/spring assy might still be available from TRF,
but you have to know the exact part number of the shaft.  Last time I
looked these were still available for some models of the GT6, and I have
ordered them in the past for the GT-

Barry Schwartz   (San Diego)
bschwart@pacbell.net

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (When I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spit (Currently undergoing a frame off)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler)