Re: Other Things (TR3A A arm bushes)

To: "Robert Van and Ann Cross" <vancross@visuallink.com>
Subject: Re: Other Things (TR3A A arm bushes)
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 16:10:49 -0500
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Bob Van tells us he is having difficulty with metal bushes stuck to the
lower A arm attachment bracket on his TR3A...

I got mine loose using a propane torch and a plumbers pipe wrench. Not a
wimpy smooth jaw pipe wrench, but a big, heavy duty, big teeth in the jaws
pipe wrench. I think propane was enough heat for this job and didn't hurt
the bracket a bit.

I soaked the bushes with Liquid Wrench, or some other equalivent. It didn't
do a thing. Then, I heated the bush, tossed the pipe wrench on and
eventually got a little movement. More heat, then fliped the pipe wrench
over and worked the bush back the other way. Kept working them back and
forth, applying heat all the while.When I got them to turn all the way
around, I applied side pressure to slide them off. It was slow and hard.

Remember, the bracket is a relatively permanent fixture on the frame. Don't
wreck the bracket, as replacing it with the body on the frame looks pretty
impossible to me.

Good luck! I am afraid you will need it.
 Henry Frye            E-mail - thefryes@iconn.net
 TR3B   TCF1927 L   http://www.iconn.net/thefryes/
 TR250  CD8096 L                  A Little Town In
 TR250  CD1074 L                  Connecticut, USA