Re: Triumph Logo-Globe

To: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Triumph Logo-Globe
From: Lenny Seidman <lseidman@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 13:27:50 -0500
On the subject of logos I have a book called " Car Badges of the World"
and it attempts to describe the origins of many of the worlds car
badges. Although the Triumph "radiator/open book" logo is not mentioned
the World/Globe badge is.

Here is what the author's have to say about the Triumph car badge:

The Triumph Motor Company of Coventry offered its first car in 1923; a
solid modern family sedan of American inspiration. In the late 1920s
they tried to invade the mass-produced economy car market with the
Triumph Super Seven (shades of Lotus!- my own input), but did not have
the resources to fight the bigbattalions of Morris, Austin, Singer and
Standard. During the 1930s, the company became best known for fast
touring cars of medium size and price, notably the Southern Cross model.
It lost its independence in 1945 to the Standard Motor Company. The
origins of the emblem are full of mystery. A multi-coloured globe, the
British possessions in traditional red, was used on all models until
1937-8. Nowadays, the emblem is in red for the land and blue for the
sea.

Lenny Seidman