Re: Roadster Factory TR-6 Sport Exhaust

To: lee.k.janssen@lmco.com
Subject: Re: Roadster Factory TR-6 Sport Exhaust
From: rgb@exact.com
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 09:44:22 1998
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
The Falcon brand SS exhaust, stock style is perfect!  Its
a larger inside diameter tubing than many of the stock or
replacements I've seen.  According to my CFM calcuations,
its not a retriction in the later dual design till 6,500 RPM
even with the 2.7L overbored version.

The only restriction that I see is the stock muffler and it isn't
alot in the Falcon design (really wanted to open it and look...).

The stock one is really nice, takes 6 months for the SS to
develop the low rumble you'd expect.  For noise, I set off
3 car alarms with it in the Moto garage versus 6 to 20 with
the older Ansi one...  Very pleasant on the 5000 mile
drive to the TRF summer party (TX -> PA -> VA -> TX -> VA)
Put some of that exhaust sealer on the pipes when you plug
them together, the SS doesn't rust weld like steel...

Plan to remove the exhaust manifold, replace broken studs,
blast, coat with Eastwood's Cast Iron paint and mount to the
1st SS section PRIOR to reinserting into the car....  neat,
now adding the other pipes is a bolt-on.  This is faster than
doing it under the car (hint #1001).

I buy the TRF SS kit WITH ALL brackets, hard to find the part number,
but cheaper than messing with old brackets.  For fun, I'm working
on a bolt-on system to replace the OEM cross muffler, i.e. straight
out the back in a Monza style exit.  You'll be able to swap "concours"
for "race/loud" in about 5 minutes...  Exits right rear away
from the driver's ears, nose.

Will at some point measure the actual backpressures with Falcon SS,
stock Monza, and my bastard version.  Then we'll know...  I assume
the folks that advertise "lower backpressure" either don't know
how to measure it (i.e. stupid as dirt) or the actual data doesn't
support their claim...  (Monza want to comment???? more noise doesn't
mean more power!)

Roger

--
Roger G. Bolick, rgb@exact.com 512-794-9567, FAX 345-2879