interchangeability of speedos

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: interchangeability of speedos
From: Ben@seiph.umds.ac.uk
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 15:23:42 +0000
Dear all,

My Herald 1200 Smiths speedo has gone extremely jumpy. I know there was a fair
amount of mail on this matter
some time ago but I seem to remember that most of it concerned the cable. I
know that it isn't that as I've swapped
dials with my brother's Herald and his is fine on my cable.

As I see it I have two options - take mine apart and stare at it for a while
(there's a lot to be said for 'divine
inspiration maintenance') or get another. I've found another going cheap but
it's not from a Herald.

Questions -

Are these dials interchangeable or are they calibrated to specific engines?
Can anyone give me guidance on taking them apart? I'd prefer to keep my
original mileometer as there's only 2,000
miles on the clock (Alright, that's 102,000)?

Thanks

Ben