Re: Triumph Renowns

To: sarah@zephyr.manawatu.planet.co.nz (Sarah Brown)
Subject: Re: Triumph Renowns
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 10:59:56 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hello Sarah:

I would dearly love to own a Renown as I love the syling, however they were
never imported to Canada or the US to my knowledge.  I do own a Standard
Vanguard which supplied the chassis and drive train for the Renown.

The situation can be divided into pluses and minuses.  On the plus side,
the old Vanguard engine was the basis for the TR2 - TR4 engines so some
parts are readily available.  The transmission is a 3 speed which is
probably not so easy to find bits for but the overdrive should be the usual
sort. Rear axle should be the same as TR.  The cars were very reliable
mechanically.  My Vanguard is an extemely well-built car which shows
quality workmanship throughout.  The Renown is also a very classy car which
is certainly evocative of traditional British design.

On the negative side, front end parts should be a bit of a challenge as
would any steering components.  The traditional body of the Renown would be
more prone to deterioration and harder to repair.  Parts for the body would
likely be difficult to find, as the car was very low-production.  The car
would likely be looser and noisier because of the construction (Vanguards
were unit body).  Renowns with overdrive were only built for two years '50
and '51 following which the car was discontinued.

The major concern I would have is that the cars were definitely not quick.
When you say that you wish to keep up with modern traffic, you should
realize that a Renown would probably be slightly heavier than a Vanguard
and the Vanguard is dead slow.  0 to 60 mph times of 20 seconds with
quarter mile times of 24 seconds should give you some idea, where any
modern car can do that in around 11 seconds and 17 seconds respectively.
The Renown would have a decent cruising speed once it got going, and should
be able to sustain the speed limit on level road, but long hills would see
it plodding up at 45 mph.

A further concern is the price of tires.  Renowns have 16" wheels and
unless a match to a smaller wheel can be found - TR maybe - the cost of
tires is high and radials which fit are very dear. The engines used oil.
Normal new consumption is listed in the owner's handbook as 1 gallon per
2000 miles.  The caution is given that when this oil consumption rises to 1
gallon per 1,000 miles a heavier grade of oil should be used.  I drove my
Vanguard on a 1500 mile trip last year and it used 3 litres of oil.  Fuel
mileage is decent at about 24 mpg on the highway which I suspect would be
about 18 mpg in town.

If you decide to buy a car, please keep in touch.  I have made copies of
the parts book and the shop manual for the car, which I would be able to
provide to you.

John McEwen

PS:  Are you a Broadway musical fan?  If so I'm sure you've heard your
share of Sky Masterson jokes.