Re: Triumph Renowns

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Triumph Renowns
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 17:59:57 -0500
Hi Sarah:

Glad to hear that you are undaunted in your search for Renown.-:.  The
reference I have "The Complete Catalogue of British Cars" by Culshaw and
Horrobin, 1974, indicates that production ceased in 1951 but that the
Mayflower was built until 1954.  It's possible that some cars were carried
over unsold and titled after production ceased.

I checked performance figures for you.  The Renown is apparently rated at
only 20.4 mpg versus the Vanguard at 23.8.  I suspect the problem is
related to body shape because the two cars share the same axle ratio.
Incidentally, the top speed of the Renown is listed as 74.4 mph where the
Vanguard could do 78 mph.  There must be something in that streamlining
after all.

I think Practical Classics, which is a British Magazine, is edited by
fellows who are too young to know the significance of the statement that
Renown was targeted toward North America, and are confusing what they have
read with the facts about the Vanguard.  The Vanguard was definitely
designed as a World Car - in fact probably the first ever.  It was aimed at
the North American market because of its relatively large engine, its six
passenger seating and its durability.

The Renown was never intended to see service in North America because it
couldn't compete in the price class in which it had to be sold.  The
Vanguard could compete with the lowest-priced American cars and had
comparable performance with similar internal space.  However, the Renown
would have had to compete against medium to upper-medium priced cars which
would never have happened because it was too small, too slow and had
antiquated styling.  Buyers in that market range tended to be upwardly
mobile, forward-looking people.  Only Jaguar was able to make any inroads
here and Jag sales were no match for any American car of the day.

Only low-priced LBCs were sold in any quantities with Austin being perhaps
the most common at that time (late '40s early '50s).  Mayflowers were sold
here because they were much cheaper and appealed to people who wanted
something very unique-looking.  They were unsuccessful because they were
hopelessly underpowered and too small.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that the Ferguson engine will serve as a
parts source for the Renown.  Some internal parts are the same or similar,
but not a lot will interchange.  The two engines are not alike externally
although use similar ignition.

Be very sure that the wood framing of the body is in good condition or
correctly repaired.  I am currently restoring a Lagonda 3 Litre which has
some serious deterioration which will prove difficult to repair.

The parts books and manual which I have copied does cover the Renown which
will be useful to you if you need them.

My reference to Sky Masterson refers to the famous Broadway musical "Guys
and Dolls".  The dramatic heroine of the show is Sarah Brown - Sister Sarah
Brown of the "Save a Soul Mission".  She winds up marrying the notorious
gambler, Sky Masterson.  It exists as a film made in 1957, starring Marlon
Brando, as Sky, Frank Sinatra and Jean Simmons, who played Sarah Brown.
I'm sure you must be familiar with the show but if not try to rent the
video.  It's one of the greatest Broadway shows.

I hope you buy the old knife-edged wonder.  I'd trade my restored Vanguard
for one in a flash.

John McEwen