TR6: New noises from the rear.

To: "triumphs-owner@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6: New noises from the rear.
From: Steve Benelisha <steveb@verity.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 13:17:50 -0800
Recently, my '74 has developed a new knocking noise from the rear end.
Here are it's characteristics:

  - It does it in all gears.
  - Gets louder with speed.
  - The knocking can be "felt" slightly and there is almost a metallic
"plink" to it when I feather off the power.
  - Does it speeding up and slowing down.

There has always been a "moan" back there that can only be heard when
the top is up (I don't get to hear it much!). I saw no obvious looseness
in the U-joints but it's hard to tell on that car when it's all
together.

I am now about to take it all apart and will be doing a general rebuild
there. My question is what should I be on the lookout for? Does the diff
commonly fail with these symptoms? Can the axles make this sort of
noise? The transmission?

Thanks,
Steve
Ojai, Ca.