TR6: New noises from the rear.

To: Steve Benelisha <steveb@verity.com>
Subject: TR6: New noises from the rear.
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 19:43:32 -0500
Cc: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Steve Benelisha writes:

>Recently, my '74 has developed a new knocking noise from the rear end.
>Here are it's characteristics:

>  - It does it in all gears.
>  - Gets louder with speed.
>  - The knocking can be "felt" slightly and there is almost a metallic
>"plink" to it when I feather off the power.
>  - Does it speeding up and slowing down.

>There has always been a "moan" back there that can only be heard when
>the top is up (I don't get to hear it much!). I saw no obvious looseness
>in the U-joints but it's hard to tell on that car when it's all
>together.

>I am now about to take it all apart and will be doing a general rebuild
>there. My question is what should I be on the lookout for? Does the diff
>commonly fail with these symptoms? Can the axles make this sort of
>noise? The transmission?

>Thanks,
>Steve
>Ojai, Ca.

Steve,
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that sounds like what my
Diff did just before it failed.  A tooth broke off of the pinion
gear.  According to Len Renkenberger, a fellow from Maryland who
has had a LOT of experience with TR6's, this is a weak point in
the design.  If I were you I would start looking for a second
hand differential at the earliest convenience.  Sorry.

Good luck
Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA

P.S. I was in Ojai (O Hi) in October.  I paid a visit to a fellow
we are trying to do business with.  I spent the previous night on
the beach (in a Hotel) in Ventura.  Had I known I would have dropped
in on you ;-)