Re: Spitfire 1500 Engine Rebuild Questions

To: John Baker <dmjbaker@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 Engine Rebuild Questions
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 09:52:05 -0800
Cc: Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

John Baker wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I disassembled my engine this weekend because it has been driven about 50K
>since the PO has last rebuilt the engine and was seemed to be burning oil.  I
>have not driven the car since I bought it and I am in the process of restoring
>it, more like rebuilding it.
>
> My Questions are:
>
> 1. Who in the Washington, D.C. area can be recommended to rebuild the head.
>I think that I need new valve guides and maybe the valves need to be
>re-ground.  Can I take the head to anyone and will they have the parts that
>are needed or will I have to supply them?
>
> 2. Other engines (Ford, Chevy) that I have re-built.  I could order a
>re-build kit which consisted of everything (gaskets, piston rings, Main and
>rod bearings)  I looked in the catalogs that I have (VTR, MOSS, etc...) and I
>could find the separate parts but not one who sold a whole kit.  Does anyone
>offer an engine re-build kit?
>
> 3. The clutch on my car looks in good shape, but since I am in there I would
>like to replace only the disk.  Should I replace the whole clutch or is it
>O.K. to replace just the disk.
>
> Thank You,
> John Baker

  John,
British Parts Northwest is where I got my Gasket sets.  Their phone number is
503-864-2001.

I replaced the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing all at the same
time.  You may not need to, but if you don't and Murphy takes over, you will
end up kicking yourself for not doing it.

Joe Curry