Spitfire 1500 Engine Rebuild Questions

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire 1500 Engine Rebuild Questions
From: John Baker <dmjbaker@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 08:18:45 -0800
Hello,

I disassembled my engine this weekend because it has been driven about 50K
since the PO has last rebuilt the engine and was seemed to be burning oil.  I
have not driven the car since I bought it and I am in the process of restoring
it, more like rebuilding it.

My Questions are:

1. Who in the Washington, D.C. area can be recommended to rebuild the head.  I
think that I need new valve guides and maybe the valves need to be re-ground.
Can I take the head to anyone and will they have the parts that are needed or
will I have to supply them?

2. Other engines (Ford, Chevy) that I have re-built.  I could order a re-build
kit which consisted of everything (gaskets, piston rings, Main and rod
bearings)  I looked in the catalogs that I have (VTR, MOSS, etc...) and I could
find the separate parts but not one who sold a whole kit.  Does anyone offer an
engine re-build kit?

3. The clutch on my car looks in good shape, but since I am in there I would
like to replace only the disk.  Should I replace the whole clutch or is it O.K.
to replace just the disk.

Thank You,
John Baker