Re: Lurking with 65 Herald - do I really want to keep this car?

To: Dudley Simons <drs1005@esc.cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Lurking with 65 Herald - do I really want to keep this car?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 11:06:19 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Dudley Simons wrote:

> I have just aquired a 65 1200 Herald convertable.  At some time in its life
> someone has swopped the wheels for a set of GT6 rims and tyres - 175x14 I
> think?  The previous owner tells me they were on the car when he aquired it
> seven years ago.  Anyone out there come across this before?  And does
> anyone know the diference it will make to the accuracy of the speedo or am
> I going to have to sit down with pencil and paper  and work it out?  They
> seem to clear all the body work etc although I havent tried full lock yet!

Are you sure they're 14" rims? "Normal" GT6 rims would be 4.5" wide and
13" diameter. A conventional (80 series or thereabouts) 175 tire would be
rather large for a Herald, but a 175/70 x 13 tire would fit the rim rather
nicely and probably the car as well, and it has the advantage of being
fairly close in circumference to the original 5.20 x 13, so speedo error
should be minimal.

> I am debating whether  to tidy the Herald up and drive it for fun, or to
> sell it and save the little spare time I have, the skin on my knuckles, the
> little cash I have and my sanity!

Keep it! Some would say your sanity is already gone, your having purchased
the Herald to begin with. Naturally I, Leon and others would have to
disagree. Sell it, though, and you'll come to regret it!

--Andy