Re: Door Posts

To: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Subject: Re: Door Posts
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 22:02:07 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "Linda Long (IM)" <LLong@kollmorgen.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Joe Curry wrote:

> You must not relate the price of parts with the price you paid for the car.
> If we all did that, none of our toys would ever get restored.  The value is in
> both the "finished product" and the "pride of the job and ownership".  If it
> takes a few extra dollars (Canadian or US), you will feel nuch better with the
> knowledge that you did it right.

You are right.

BUT
if I can get to the same conclusion for $50 instead of $500, spending TIME
instead of money (guess which one I have more of), I'm going to work at it
myself.

Personally, I would rather tool the B-Post myself.  Then I could rustproof
the inside and do all sorts of fun stuff.  But I haven't got enough to
work from, yet-- and I'm looking for an easier way out.

Case in point:  A repro-stock exhaust system (cat back) for my econobox
would have set me back $200 plus.  Instead I spent $50 at different places
(wrecker, performance shop, parts guys)- and about 5 hours lying on my
back wrestling with semi-used exhausts.  The system is finished, no leaks,
and it's no louder than my previous tin-can-and-guitar-string job.

-Malcolm
ask me about hanging exhausts :-)