Re: Oversize pistons, oversize rings

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Oversize pistons, oversize rings
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 04:26:07 GMT
On 7 Jan 1998, Andy wrote:

> I guess the real question is, what are
> the pros and cons of just using oversize rings versus pistons.

I think there are no pros. Using standard pistons in a cylinder with .020
oversize bore will increase the piston shirt clearance to a totally
untolerable value.  The pistons would start hitting the cylinder walls,
and wear pretty fast.  Not to mention the sound - an engine with piston
slap sounds like a diesel engine starting on a cold winter day.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway