Re: parts washers...are they worth it?

To: Jon Moody <mood@erols.com>
Subject: Re: parts washers...are they worth it?
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 20:17:08 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jon Moody wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Are parts washers that much better than a bucket of cleaning solution
> and a brush?  I wondering if I should get one for when I take my '71
> apart for its frame off.  Thanks.
>
> Jon Moody

I think they're worthwhile... These days, they're not very expensive...
I don't own one myself... but I've used them often... and my older
brother (a corvette/FORD Mustang fanatic) has one...

Besides keeping things relatively clean... (as you do all your cleaning
in one place, etc.)  you can put a constant stream of solution flowing
on a part... or into a smaller, over-flowing can... (with small parts in
it)... etc... this works real well... and you really maximize the use of
your cleaner...

I think you tend to keep the stuff off your hands more, when you're
using one of those... which is also a health concern/improvement....

On a side note:  My brother's little part's washer clearly said not to
use water... (i.e. not water-based cleaners)... but with new twins and a
the wife complaining... he put a water-based, "nature-friendly" cleaner
in... and... of course... the pump died immediately...

hmmm... wonder if that warning about water-based cleaners was for a
reason?

--Justin