Vacuum advance unit on a spitty 1500

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Vacuum advance unit on a spitty 1500
From: "Dr T. Dafforn" <td214@cus.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 14:24:50 +0000 (GMT)
I've just had to move my spitfire during its restoration (just 2 miles
down the road luckily so no problems with bits of car 'flapping in the
breeze'). This was the first time the car had been driven in 4 months, and
I noticed a total lack of acceleration. First guess was that I had
forgotten to put the vacuum advance tube back. Quick check under the
bonnet, the tube is in place. checked the carbs and fuel supply, all
fine...
Checked the advance mechanism itself, by sucking the tube, about 2 mm
movement. Is this normal? or am I just not a big sucker! (No comments
please!)... if the unit is buggered, can i remedy it myself, or is it time
for a new one...
Thanks for any help
Tim

                        Department of Haematology