RE: Crankshaft bolt removal technique

To: "Linda Long (IM)" <LLong@kollmorgen.com>
Subject: RE: Crankshaft bolt removal technique
From: Andy <adixon@loudoun.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 21:46:57 -0500 (EST)
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by mail.cninc.com
Tom,
The starter technique worked for me on my Mazda MX3 when I changed the
timing belt -- very effective.  In this case however, it's a $1000 parts..er
project car (I guess I wanted a challenge) The battery is out because it's
dead so I'd already tried jumper cables.  Although the car started (but didn't
run) about 6 weeks ago, this time the starter wouldn't turn over.  Even
jumpered 12v directly to the solenoid.  Pulled out the starter, looked OK,
and jumpered it out of the car. Of course it spun up quite nicely thank you
very much.  Put it back in, jumpered it and it tuned over but not enough
torque to break the bolt loose (probably because I was using jumper cables
rather than a battery installed in the car).  Anyway, took out the starter
again
and went to the loose tooth method.  That's where you jam a crowbar in the
flywheel ring gear and use  a long breaker bolt on the bolt, sometimes the
crowbar jumps out and hits you in the mouth or the teeth on the ring gear
drop off into the bell housing.  Fortunately no loose teeth but I had to stand
on the breaker bar about 3 times for a total of about 3/4 of a turn before I
could turn it by hand.

What's my point Tom?  Your method, and I would have tried it if this didn't
work, would have required me to jack up and drop the car about 6 times.  Oh
yes, and the 3/4 turn explains why when I jammed the breaker bar against
the frame and used my wife's blazer to push the TR while it was in gear, I
felt it move and thought I'd broken it loose until I tried to turn it by hand.

Thanks for taking an interest in my problem Tom and Jim, it's the kind of
support that helps a person go out and try something else even when they
don't think they'll ever get the problem licked.

Many thanks,
Andy

On 01/05/98 08:04 PM Linda Long (IM) said...