Re: Herald Bumper Installation

To: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Subject: Re: Herald Bumper Installation
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 23:11:55 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Bill Kelly wrote:

> My long lost Herald, in the restorer's shop for over a year, is nearing
> completion. My questions concern the white rubber bumpers. Should we
> install them before painting and mask them, or is there a safe way to
> put them on after the paint dries without scuffing the paint? Do they
> slide on, along the retaining strips, or do you hook them over the top
> of the strip and try to worry the lower groove in the rubber over the
> lower edge of the retaining strip?

Bill, according to the factory workshop manual, one would "apply soapy
solution on the inner flanges of the rubber. Enter the lower flange of
the rubber over the lower edge of the retainer and bend the rubber
outwards sufficiently to permit its upper edge to fit the retainer."

Gee, it sounds so easy, doesn't it? :-)

In truth, it's not quite as easy as it sounds (but then it never is,
right?). I suspect, though, that new (or newish) rubber might be a bit
more pliable. I do remember struggling many, MANY years ago to refit
then-four-year-old pieces of white rubber bumper to dad's Herald after my
high school buddy and I repainted it. Doable, but not easy!

--Andy