Re: Idiot

To: Chris DeStaffany <sjmeds@rockisland.com>
Subject: Re: Idiot
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 21:02:37 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Chris DeStaffany wrote:

> enough extra lift to get the hitch clear.  It became very clear, instantly,
> that the driver had forgoten to chock the wheels as the trailer started
> backing very slowly, by it self, down the gentle incline.  The incline
> (there always seems to be an incline in these stories) was fairly gental
> but, since the trailer weighted 7,000 lbs it continued to roll down hill,
> seamingly in slow motion with three firefighters now on their bellies
> hanging onto the tongue being dragged through the gravel.

Hmmmm, reminds me of another idiot move involving trailers... when I
wanted to sandblast the GT6 long-term project, I had to enlist the help
of someone with a truck, a former co-worker (now, mind you, I knew this
guy was a bit of a goof, but that didn't bother me on a job like this).
He had a truck and a free Saturday morning, so he helped me pick up the
compressor (a huge, old 125 cfm unit powered by Dodge truck engine) from
the rental agency.

Hmmm, small problem with the hitch. The ball on his truck was 1-3/4" and
the hitch was 2". No way to change quickly. No safety chains on the
hitch. So, tighten down the clamp as much as possible, short test drive
proves this is satisfactory. Begin blasting, and my driver/assistant is
bored. He has nothing to do but flog the handle on the sand hopper to
keep the sand loose. Has a beer. Has another. Has a third. By this time,
I am about done with the body and the frame, and wasn't aware that he'd
consumed more than one (a later can count gave the evidence). One Miller
Lite in three hours, no problem, right?

So, we wrap up all the equipment to get it back to the rental yard
before I have to pay a full day on the stuff. He goes the long way
around my block so as not to have to back up the trailer. And,
therefore, has plenty of room to get the truck up to 45 mph before
hitting the railroad tracks.... Yes. Ka-whump. Suddenly, the load on the
truck is much, much lighter.... I look back and the compressor
(nominally about 3000 pounds) is drifting toward the entrance to the
local convenience store, approximately on a vector destined to intersect
with one of their gas pumps....

No, we did not recreate a scene in an action movie (although I admit a
scene with flames shooting a hundred feet in the air briefly came to
mind). I yelled, he hit the brakes and managed to stop the compressor
with the back of the truck, with minimal damage.

The conversation which followed a few minutes later is instructive of
the American mind:

"Oh, ****, I didn't think about the railroad tracks!"
"It's okay. It could have hit a gas pump."
"Jeeeeezzzzzz, it was headed that way, wasn't it?!"
"It's okay."
"Whaddawe do about the busted shut-off valve?"
"It's okay."
"We could stop at the hardware store and get another one before we bring
it back."
"It's okay. I bought the insurance."
"You did?! Well, screw `em, it's their fault for not having chains!"

Cheers.

Oh, yes, on the previously mentioned subject of emergency brakes, it
happens to big vehicles, too. I work for a company which makes
heavy-duty transit buses, and while going through a configuration audit
on a new fleet for New Jersey Transit, I asked why the transit authority
insisted on having a somewhat expensive seat alarm system installed
(this is a large capacitive switch pad installed under the fabric of the
driver's seat, connected to a module which senses when the driver isn't
in the seat, and then turns on a very loud alarm if the parking brake is
not engaged). I didn't get an answer right away, which made me a bit
curious. Finally, the truth emerged. New Jersey Transit had been showing
off their newest purchase from another bus manufacturer a few months
before, in front of the statehouse, with the governor of New Jersey in
attendance. The driver left his seat without setting the park brake, and
this very new 27,000 lb. bus rolled away and pile-drivered a couple of
cars parked nearby. Never did hear if one of them belonged to the
governor.... <g>

--
My other Triumph runs, but....