Re: Spitfire Tires

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Tires
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 19:48:23 -0500
At 12:01 PM 1/3/98 -0600, Brad Kahler wrote:
>Is there any consensus on what brand/type of tires to use on the
>early Spitfires?  I'm ready to go out and buy them now and thought I
>would take a quick poll.
>
>Thanks
>Brad
>1964 Spitfire

Hi Brad,

I'm sure you will get several responses regarding the widest, best-handling
tires that you can fit under the wheel wells of your Spit.

FWIW, I am running the originally-specified 155R-13 radials on my car [a
'79].   They are cheap, and they slide really nice.   I can tear-ass around
at 9/10ths all day and none of the local constables even look twice. What fun!

One thing I DID do was specify an S rating for the tires.   This buys you
some quality, as non-speed rated tires have cheaper construction.  I had to
look hard for them. I settled on Goodyear Corsa GTs.

As always, JMHO.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO

"It's tough to be nostalgic when you can't remember anything"