Re: Timing Cover Oil Seal

To: LLong@kollmorgen.com, owner-triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Timing Cover Oil Seal
From: WBabbitt <WBabbitt@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 10:19:30 EST
In a message dated 1/3/98 22:03:44, LLong@kollmorgen.com wrote:

<<Listers,
I just thought of a problem I encountered several years ago when
changing the gasket on my TR6's timing cover.  Since I was in there I
decided to replace the Oil Seal that is embedded (of lack of a better
word) inside the timing cover.  Bentley's matter-of factly states
"Carefully prise out the seal, avoiding damage to the timing cover seal
location"  Well, IMHO there is no way to get that sucker out of the
timing cover (first problem).  SO I bought a new timing cover and an oil
seal to go with it.  And much to my surprise the seal would not set or
fit in the timing cover (second problem).  So I decided to just put the
old cover back on with the old oil seal still in there.  Now I have in
my parts treasure chest a brand new timing cover and an oil
seal...unfortunately not together.

Any thoughts or lessons would be appreciated 'cause the timing cover and
oil seal will be on my TR250 some day...I hope.

Tom Long

64TR4
68TR250
76TR6    >>

Tom,
I don't know if the TR6 cover is the same as the TR3/4 cover, but we know that
Triumph never changed anything unless they had to.
The oil seal was equally had on me TR4A engine.  I used a chisel to get
between the seal and cover on the outside, with the backside of the cover
rigidly supported directly behind the seal.  Then used a brass drift to get it
the rest of the way out.  Then cleaned up the cover mating surface with an
anvil tack hammer.
The replacement was also tight.  This time, rigidly supporting the outside
face of the inverted cover at the seal location.   Again with the brass drift,
shifting in a star pattern around the seal; starting with light hits until it
was aligned.  (good source of brass drifts is threaded rod fron the hardware
store - just grind the threads off at the business end.
hope this helps,
Bill Babbitt
TR3A in a Bag (but hopefully not for ever)
Gales Ferry, Ct.