Timing Cover Oil Seal

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Timing Cover Oil Seal
From: "Linda Long (IM)" <LLong@kollmorgen.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 21:57:53 -0500
Listers,
I just thought of a problem I encountered several years ago when
changing the gasket on my TR6's timing cover.  Since I was in there I
decided to replace the Oil Seal that is embedded (of lack of a better
word) inside the timing cover.  Bentley's matter-of factly states
"Carefully prise out the seal, avoiding damage to the timing cover seal
location"  Well, IMHO there is no way to get that sucker out of the
timing cover (first problem).  SO I bought a new timing cover and an oil
seal to go with it.  And much to my surprise the seal would not set or
fit in the timing cover (second problem).  So I decided to just put the
old cover back on with the old oil seal still in there.  Now I have in
my parts treasure chest a brand new timing cover and an oil
seal...unfortunately not together.

Any thoughts or lessons would be appreciated 'cause the timing cover and
oil seal will be on my TR250 some day...I hope.

Tom Long

64TR4
68TR250
76TR6