Re: Spitfire coils - superfluous information

To: tomomalley@hey.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire coils - superfluous information
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 19:50:05 EST
In a message dated 97-12-31 19:24:49 EST, tomomalley@hey.net writes:

> I've often wondered how a points ignition car would behave
>  with the ignition "on",  and stalled with points *closed*.  Years ago
>  we were advised not to leave the car in this state too long.  Now I
>  can see that  not a big concern.

Tom:

There is still one other potential problem to be concerned about, or at least
I've been told. If the points are completely open, or completely closed, there
should be no problem. The problem occurs if the points are 'almost' closed. If
the distance btween the contacts is just right, there can be arcing, and the
resulting pitting, between the contacts. I don't know if this is true or not,
but I have read that in various auto magazines over the years, and it seems to
make sense.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74