Re: Spitfire (& Harleys) SU conversion stumper

To: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire (& Harleys) SU conversion stumper
From: Joseph Sholtes <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 23:46:11 -0500
Cc: msecres@IBM.NET, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

DANMAS wrote:

                            ~snip~

> . There was an article on using SU carbs on
> a H-D! Evidently, there is a company that specializes in converting the carbs
> just for this application.
>
> Amazing, huh? I didn't read the article in depth, but I gathered that this is
> a hot set-up for a H-D!

Dan,

   Being a Harley owner, I've been to a few swap meets and yes, it is done.
A semi-friend (no, not that he drives trucks, I just sorta know him) did the
same conversion.  A two inch integral bowl S.U. carb of new manufacture is
used  They are specially jetted by the importer.  My friend got his new about
seven or eight years ago.  I don't know if they're still available.
  The main reason for using them is their tunablity.  It was a little
disconcerting
to see the suction chamber air valve rise and fall (about 1/8 inch) between the
intake strokes of each piston at idle when he first installed it, and was test
riding
without the air filter.  He claimed the bike was more tractable and powerfull.
Who wouldn't, after spending $200 to make it so?
  Another, more popular mod is to used a "Dell 'orto", which is a weber carb
copy, on these crazy looking ninety degree elbow intake manifolds.  You know,
so the carb "Gets the cool, fresh air charge.".  Me? I just stick with an old
Bedix
carb, stock on earlier shovelhead engines.  I do have the adjustable jet mod,
though.
(Just gotta be able to tinker, you know)

                                              JOE IV
                                              TR 250
                                  WALLINGFORD, CT. USA