Re: Seperating Ball Joints -- "no guts"

To: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: Seperating Ball Joints -- "no guts"
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 17:01:01 -0800
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

Edward Hamilton wrote:

> I'm in the process of redoing the front suspension and steering rack on
> an '80 Spit.  I have the seperator of the type that is a bar with a
> wedged shaped fork at the end.  I'm reluctant to pound or pry too hard
> for fear of doing damage.  Just how tight are these things?  Should I
> get a different style seperator?
>
> Thanks,
> Ed Hamilton

 Ed,
I agree with Troy, the fork tool should do fine.  It's much better than
beating the threaded end of the Tie Rod coupling with a hammer (if you get
my drift).

You might insert the tool and see if both surfaces are contacting secure
metal pieces.  If so, hammer away.

BTW if you do damage the tie rod ends, I saw where TRF was offering them
free with large purchases.  You may barter with someone who got some.

Oh yeah, Another thought.  If you remove the ends from the tie rod itself,
be sure to mark the point where they screwed up to.  It makes it a whole
lot closer to being in alignment when you put it back.  A piece of masking
tape works quite well.

Joe Curry