Re: Wanted good car under $1000

To: "TR8 List" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Jeff Slaton" <66austin@mursuky.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Re: Wanted good car under $1000
From: pearesto@totcon.com (pearesto)
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 14:57:19 -0800
OK so now I am cheap too.  I get what I pay for huh?  Well great.  When I
am tooling around in a nice looking convertible and the total investment is
less than $1000, I will laugh at all of you that paid that much more for
the same car.  As I said in the past, I have bought many cars in the past
for less than $1000, allot less.  The list is endless, 280ZXs with T-tops
turbo and loaded for $650, drove 40k and totaled it and sold the parts car
for $1200.  An 85 Supra missing a fender for $400, installed fender and
painted, total invested $900 drove 20k and sold for $2800.  @ Spitfires
together for $500.  Installed a distributor for $100 in one the other was
rusty so I sold the rusty one for $750 and now I am up $250 and drove the
car 10k and sold for $1600.  I have bought too many TR7s for under $1000
and have had great luck.  Normally TR7s get parked due to a blown head
gasket.  I pick them up between $200 to $500 and rebuild the heads, install
new gasket set totaling under $150 in parts and my time, but usually a day
does it.

Shall I go on or is that enough.  I could continue but I think the point is
here.  If you still think I am nuts or cheap or in for trouble then that is
ok, but the TR7 in my garage that I paid---no was given to me---needs a bit
more work, and the total investment will be about $1500 but only because of
the Sprint conversion.  I am planning on this one being more than a daily
drive so it will cost more.  Mind you all the cars up top have been daily
drivers and that is what I was looking for when I started this mess.  I was
not looking for a brow beating.

Thanks for all the advice but I think I will stick to what always worked in
the past for me.

John

----------
> From: Jeff Slaton <66austin@mursuky.campus.mci.net>
> To: pearesto <pearesto@totcon.com>
> Subject: Re: Wanted good car under $1000
> Date: Wednesday, November 26, 1997 12:22 AM
>
> pearesto wrote:
> >
> > I have always had great luck with these type of cars.  The paint is
good
> > and no rips in the interior.  At $200 even if I have to replace the
entire
> > drivetrain I would be around $1000 to $1200.  I can find running
engines
> > with warranty for about $200 to $400 and trannys are around $250 and
rears
> > are about $150, so lets see that is still under $1000.
> >
> > ----------
> > > From: Larry Wilcox <lwilcox@webzone.net>
> > > To: pearesto <pearesto@totcon.com>
> > > Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> > > Subject: Re: Wanted good car under $1000
> > > Date: Tuesday, November 25, 1997 6:06 PM
> > >
> > > Just wait until you REALLY get it going.  I recently bought a
spitfire
> > for
> > > a small fee that was supposed to be in pretty good shape, but before
> > > could get it on the road its cost doubled.  It is still not running
very
> > > good and I have not even started on the non-mechanical stuff, e.g.
seat
> > > covers, paint job, etc.
> > >
> > > Still a skeptic.
> > >Larry,
> Its like a fiat, you never be able to give the car away if you ever want
> to sell it.
>
> Jeff ,you get what you pay for
>

> > > Larry Wilcox
> > > email: lwilcox@webzone.net