Re: Spit rear brakes & axle stuff

To: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>, Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: Spit rear brakes & axle stuff
From: "Atwell (Buff) Haines" <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 08:06:11
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 06:23 PM 11/25/97 -0800, Joe Curry wrote: [to Edward Hamilton]

>Examine the yoke and see if it is the correct one for your car.  I found
>the same thing on my Spit due to the dpo not being able to find the
>correct replacement.  His solution was to weld it on because if did not
>fit right.

What determines the correct yoke for the axle (I'm speaking of the u-joint
yoke now).

One of my yokes is wobbly at the spline, if you grab the axle and yank on
it, you can see it pivoting around the roll pin axis.  Does this suggest a
worn axle/wheel bearing?

What is involved in replacing a Spit rear axle?   Is the elusive hub
removal tool required? Or does the hub/axle assy come out as one?