Re: TR3 windscreen washer manual pump

To: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: TR3 windscreen washer manual pump
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 11:06:41 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 10:49 AM 11/6/97 -0500, JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com wrote:
>     Henry,
>
>     Thanks for your prompt response.
>     I did think of this and put a bit of oil in from the plunger end, as I
>     have successfully revived a bicycle pump this way. (The seal is
>     leather, or at least leather-like, and it had dried out. It works well
>     enough to pump up old TR3 tires!) But back to the washer pump - now if
>     I put my hand over both nozzles at once, there is so much resistance
>     that I can't push the plunger in, so I think the seal's OK.
>
>     So, is there a one-way valve in the pump to prevent the fluid going
>     back to the reservoir?

Jim,

Sounds like you are on the right track. I never took one apart, I found
mine at Carlisle this year. It is out of a '4, but looks OK and it works
fine. I know a TR guy with lots of washer pumps from various '3's he has
parted in the past, and none of them work!

All I can add is there is no check valve exernal to the pump, and my pump
will squirt water on the first time you hit the plunger. I would guess
there has to be some sort of check valve in there.

It looks like you will be taking yours apart to see if you can fix it. If
you need parts from some other broken ones, I'd bet I could get my buddy to
sell a few broken pumps real cheap.

Good luck.
 Henry Frye            E-mail - thefryes@iconn.net
 TR3B   TCF1927 L   http://www.iconn.net/thefryes/
 TR250  CD8096 L                  A Little Town In
 TR250  CD1074 L                  Connecticut, USA