Re: Trunnions

To: "Atwell (Buff) Haines" <carbuff@scooter.net>
Subject: Re: Trunnions
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 17:12:18 -0800
Cc: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Atwell (Buff) Haines wrote:

> At 09:41 AM 11/3/97 -0500, JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com wrote:
> >     Joe-
> >     I guess it was just a case of "why change a good thing". I'm sure the
> >     dogs wouldn't want this feature removed!
> >     Jim

I heard somewhere that the trunions and other mechanical pieces that are
highly subject to wear, are made out of some special allow, not just
regular old brass.  Apparently (if this is true) the properties of the
alloy are that they are self-lubricating and don't require the normal
lubrication that you would expect of ball joints, etc.

Has anybody else heard this?  Inquiring minds want to know?

Joe Curry    '63 Spit

BTW, On the upper ball joints of my Spit (no obvious method of
lubrication), I purchased a needle fitting that goes on the end of my
grease gun.  By inserting the needle through the Ball joint rubber, I
can pump grease into the Joint.  When the needle is removed, the hole in
the rubber closes (like getting an injection).

(Now my Spit is an intravenous Grease User)