Re: Undercoating

To: WINDOWSEET@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Undercoating
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@sj.znet.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 21:55:41 -0700 (PDT)
   I've got this gunk on my car, too.  Lived in Pennsylvania when I bought
it and undercoating was simply a necessity.
   Now I'm concerned about whether this stuff had asbestos in it - to the
point of wanting to contact the PA Dept of Environmental Quality and check
if anyone there knows.  Haven't done it yet, though.  If I do, I will
report response to the list.
   John Cowan

At 12:07 PM 6/30/97 -0400, you wrote:
>The Gt6+ went up on blocks this weekend for a complete suspension overhaul.
>That's the easy part. Everything came off except for two a-arm pivot bolts
>which are frozen (rust) to the bushing sleves. They are soaking in
>penetrating oil right now. The problem is that the PO (DPO?) had the entire
>underside of the car rust proofed several times over the years and they
>coated evrything including the suspension parts!  It is a mixed blessing
>since I'm sure this treatment saved the car from rusting since it was used as
>a daily driver but it sure makes the view under the bonnet less than
>desirable. I have decided to remove this stuff from all the visible surfaces
>and repaint as necessary. As I remove the "gook" there is some nice looking
>BRG underneath. Does anyone have any suggestions for a safe way to remove
>this stuff. I have resigned myself to the fact that this will be a long, slow
>process but I'm looking for something besides flammable materials to soften
>and remove the undercoat.
>
>Greg Wolf
>70 GT6+ "Ian"- In need of de-gunking!

Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
experiment, plus articles, article outlines and Left/Progressive links at:
           http://sj.znet.com/~jfcowan/