Undercoating

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Undercoating
From: WINDOWSEET@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 12:07:46 -0400 (EDT)
The Gt6+ went up on blocks this weekend for a complete suspension overhaul.
That's the easy part. Everything came off except for two a-arm pivot bolts
which are frozen (rust) to the bushing sleves. They are soaking in
penetrating oil right now. The problem is that the PO (DPO?) had the entire
underside of the car rust proofed several times over the years and they
coated evrything including the suspension parts!  It is a mixed blessing
since I'm sure this treatment saved the car from rusting since it was used as
a daily driver but it sure makes the view under the bonnet less than
desirable. I have decided to remove this stuff from all the visible surfaces
and repaint as necessary. As I remove the "gook" there is some nice looking
BRG underneath. Does anyone have any suggestions for a safe way to remove
this stuff. I have resigned myself to the fact that this will be a long, slow
process but I'm looking for something besides flammable materials to soften
and remove the undercoat.

Greg Wolf
70 GT6+ "Ian"- In need of de-gunking!