TR Tranny Question

Subject: TR Tranny Question
From: kengano@advant.com (Gano, Ken)
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 00:03:12 -0500
        Two years into my five year project, I can finally say every part is
apart.  Before everyone says I'm unrealistic in saying five years, major
components have been re built and re-install along the way, but yesterday
finally saw me tear into the transmission.

        Once it was all apart, I see what looks either like uniformly broken
teeth
on the reverse gear, or a sloppy machine bevel.  About the first .040" of
the gear is gone.  I really can't tell if is ground off or if it was meant
to be that way.

        The part I am trying to describe is Triumph number 111153 or Moss
#845-750
and the cut (bevel) in question is on each tooth of the outside (front) of
the small gear.

        A related question, after looking up the price, is there any good reason
this gear could not be reused?  There is still 98 or 99% of the tooth face
engaging and of course, all the old is long cleaned out (if it was every
there) and I can't envision driving backwards hard or slamming into
reverse.  What am I missing here?  Any other particular suggestions re:
what to look for while I've got it apart would also be appreciated.

Ken Gano
1959 TR3A, TS57756 (in pieces)
pops was the original owner, does that count?
downstate illinois, usa
kengano@advant.com