RE: Fast TR-6

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net.wgcinet>
Subject: RE: Fast TR-6
From: "Tom Gentry "<TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 10:27:00 -0500
My TR-6 isn't the fastest car, or even the fastest TR-6 on the road.  On
paper, I agree, a late model 5.0 V-8 should kick my tail.  Now, do the
math, a TR-6 is a lot lighter than the Detroit iron I mentioned, so it
needs a lot less horsepower.  But if all you look at is data why bother
with racing?  There is a human factor to consider, not to mention other,
more physical variables.  I have beat the 5.0 V-8s and have witnesses.
I suspect if we traded cars and raced again, I would still win.  I drive
cars HARD, and a lot of people, especially the "image is everything"
crowd, don't have a clue when it comes to actually using the performance
their car can deliver.  BTW, yes, I occasionally get beat by 5.0 V-8,
but it's always been close, either way.

No, a stock TR-6 won't handle as well as the new hot cars, or even the
new economy cars, but that doesn't mean you can't improve on it.  When I
bought my TR-6 there was no question my Shelby Charger (turbo) could
beat it on any course in the world.  Now, by comparison, the Shelby
Charger feels slow and lethargic both straight line and cornering.  The
trade off is that the Shelby Charger also feels comfortable and refined
when compared to the TR-6.

For those who have asked my TR-6 has the following modifications,
they're not recommended for everyone.  If you're one of those people
that thinks TRs are loud, crude and uncomfortable don't even think about
doing any of this.  While I have stretched the performance envelope, it
makes a stock TR-6 seem like a luxury car.  On the other hand, I'm not
done yet ;-)

ENGINE -
Head milled for 10:1 compression
Head ported and polished according to the Comp. Prep. Manual
3 angle valve job
Asymmetrical performance cam from Brit. Parts NW
Monza header (with header wrap)
Custom dual exhaust with Walker DynoMax mufflers
Lucas Sport Coil
Crane ignition wires
Custom profiled carb needles

SUSPENSION/BRAKES -
Poly-Urethane suspension bushings
Solid steering rack mount
Carerra front shocks
Apple Hydraulics "performance" rear shocks
Springs cut to lower car ~1.5"
Repco Metal Master Brake Pads
Braided stainless/teflon brake lines
DOT 5 brake fluid