Re: Fast TR-6

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Fast TR-6
From: "Bill Hooper" <hooper@rf.capitolweb.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 02:36:07 -0500
> From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
>   You have hit a nerve with me that I will freely admit to being
> oversensitive about. I have too many friends who drive normal
> boring cars that they bought from their grandad, but love to
> tell stories about "toasting" corvettes and 5.0s at stoplight
> drags.

I believe it.  The average Corvette, Trans AM, & Camaro drivers in the
'70's & early '80's had reaction times slower than turtles, & just about as
much brains.  Most spent THREE seconds just spinning their wheels!  You
could leave them behind with a Chrysler Newport.

And if the road wasn't straight, those folks slowed, stopped, or
fishtailed.  Even a squirrelly GT6 could get past them, because they
couldn't go around a curve faster than 50 mph.  Driver or machine?  Who
cares.

Cars do handle better now on average, but I think the drivers' brains are
getting even slower & mushier.  Must be something like the way people are
dopey after sensory deprivation.  They should get a "real" sports car.

On the serious side, there seems to really be something in this.  There was
a story on CNN or something about a study which suggested that people who
buy cars they consider to be "safe" or "fortress" cars tend to become more
inattentive & careless in their driving.  Does anyone else have a list of
cars that that they identify as "danger cars" which may do just anything,
and are a threat to the personal sheet metal?  Here's my list:
1.  Volvos (those people tend to be just oblivious)
2. Family vans (almost as bad as number one)
3.  Conversion Vans
4. Broncos & those kind of "sport trucks"
5  Big Old Station Wagon (well, yes, I own a '64 Dodge 440 Wagon support
vehicle)

Caddies, Caprices, LTD's, etc. with little old ladies are way down the
list.  With little old men in them, they move up several spots.