Re: general timing question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: general timing question
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 13:59:31 -0700
   < snip  > (from Brian)
> Be
> careful not to get the timing out of spec on a catalytic converter
> model, or you can run too rich and burn up the cat and the car.  That's
> why they are call Spitfire.
   < snip > (from Michael)
> being mechanically challenged, I was under the
>impression that the mixture was controlled entirely in the carb.
>I know that running the wrong timing can be a bad thing, but I
>did not know the timing can affect the mixture.
Michael,
I think what Brian meant was, if you retard the advance too much fuel is
still burning as it exits the exhaust and continues into the converter as a
richer (still unburned) mixture.  If you've ever seen an exhaust manifold on
an engine, timing severely retarded under load glow red, almost white hot,
you know what I mean.  Timing doesn't affect the fuel/air mixture.  The fuel
metering system does that.  Timing does however effect the way things burn
in (and to some extent outside) the cylinder.

Barry Schwartz in San Diego,CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6 Spitfire ( 5 speed's mounted, working on tranny cover )
70 GT6+ (daily driver for now)
70 Spitfire (body repair on hold see above)