general timing question

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: general timing question
From: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 97 6:58:37 -24000
Continuing in the effort to get my Spit to run right:

I'm dealing with the question of static timing an engine.  I'd be grateful if
 someone out there who truly understands timing could answer a question or
two.

First, the Haynes manual says that static timing "isn't practical" for
electronic ignition engines.  Any idea why this would be true?

Second.  The older engines are about 10 degrees BTDC, static or dynamic.  The
newer are about 2 degrees ATDC.  Does the timing between the pistons and
valves allow either of these settings, or were the respective engines set
differently?

any help gratefully accepted.

Sean Johnson
'75 Spitfire, '79 engine, HS 2's