Alternator diagnostic procedure?

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Alternator diagnostic procedure?
From: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 97 7:05:54 -24000
Among other things, my Spit's alternator warning light is burning whenever
the engine is started.
I checked my manual (Haynes).  It has a diagnostic procedure that involves a
voltmeter, ammeter, and variable resistor.

Short of making a trip to Radio Shack for the above items, does anyone have a
diagnostic procedure that's a little more practical?  I have a basic
voltmeter, and can get a digital multimeter.  I didn't find anything
alternator testing from the web page. I know this comes up frequently; I
should have saved more lists!

Also, could someone who understands electrons/smoke a little better than I,
explain how/when the warning light works?

Help and opinions gratefully accepted.

Sean Johnson
'75 Spitfire/'79 engine