Grease Cap Removal (Destruction)

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Grease Cap Removal (Destruction)
From: "K.R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 12:42:41 -0400
Vic Whitmore wrote about having to destroy the grease cap in
order to remove it to grease the front wheel bearings.

My 1962 TR4 Tool Kit came with a Machine Screw (#8 or #10 -32 I
believe) that was for this purpose. The idea was to thread it
into the hole and pop off the cap. In practice, the dealer
mechanics used Vic's solution...drive a screwdriver in, pry off,
replace with a new cap. As parts became scarce, this solution
presents its own problems.

New caps are available from the usual suppliers (I got mine from
TRF). What I did was to braze a small nut (#8, #10 or 1/4") to
the inside of the cap, clean it up, paint it black (the original
colour), and install it.  Now to remove, I simply screw in a #10
machine screw until it hits the centre of the axle and begins to
pop off the cap. Slick and no damage to the grease cap!

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Keith

    _       _