RE: Problems bleeding Spitfire brakes

To: "Andrew Mace" <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: RE: Problems bleeding Spitfire brakes
From: "PAUL LOGUE" <GPAULOGUE@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 3 May 97 17:39:30 UT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

----------
From:   Andrew Mace
Sent:   Friday, May 02, 1997 2:25 AM
To:     PAUL LOGUE
Cc:     Eric Kieboom; triumphs@autox.team.net

On Fri, 2 May 1997, PAUL LOGUE wrote:

> Eric,
>
> Try topping reservoir by pumping fluid from the bleed nipples up to the
> reservoir. Use a plastic line attached to a pumper can.
>
> Paul Logue
> GPAULOGUE@MSN.COM

Sorry, but I have a problem with that. Even with an almost completely new
system, you'd be likely pumping slightly dirty and almost certainly
somewhat aerated fluid right back through the system -- no, thank you,
that's not something I'd want to do. Even silicone fluid is not as
expensive as the repair cost after a brake failure due to contamination or
even too much air still in the system.

I agree that dual-master-cylinder Spitfires can be a pain to bleed. It
might well be worth the time spent to ensure that all the new seals are
correctly oriented and that the system is drawing no air or leaking
elsewhere, but I can't see reusing brake fluid -- even temporarily -- for
any reason!

--Andy

Andy,

This procedure for filling an empty brake system results in adding no "air",
but only brake fluid under pumper pressure.  Then it might take one
application of normal bleeding to have a firm pedal.  And if you use a
dedicated pumper can with new fresh brake fluid, you will not have
contamination.   This procedure is used frequently with light airplane brake
systems with great success.

Regards,

Paul Logue
77 Spit